Monday, May 27, 2024

I am finally getting to start this year's Passport entries.  Sorry for the delay.  We've been doing some remodeling at home and my computer was unavailable for quite a while.  Remodeling is almost done, and I am now able to get to updating the blog.

Kala's Savory Bites & Sifted Sweets - Beatrice

Kala's was our first stop for the 2024 Nebraska Passport.  Their hours are we're from 8:30 am - 4:00 pm and Sat 10 am - 3:00 pm.  Beatrice seems to have a number of these small, locally owned shops.  Kala's is very nicely remodeled in one of the old buildings in downtown Beatrice.  These types of places are always interesting to see what was done to make the old new again.  

The moment we entered the building, we were greeted with smiling faces and a friendly "Hi".


Kala has done a great job with the decor.  Very inviting and homey.  I think it's the bricks and ceiling which she has kept from the original.  These old buildings all had very high ceilings which lend to a roomy feeling.

Along with a bakery, they also serve breakfast and lunch.  As you can see, we ordered lunch.  They make everything fresh with each order.  I had a Panini while Cindy ordered a cauliflower-crust pizza and, of course, the latte of the day.  We very much recommend you try and go with time for a meal.  Everything was excellent!

We visited with Kala for a bit.  She is very excited to be on the Passport this year.  When we left, we bought a loaf of sour dough bread to take home.  (Also, very good.)  I didn't look at the breakfast menu at all, but I recently ran across a reference to sour dough pancakes.  They look pretty good, so I'll have to check on that next time I'm in Beatrice.  Or maybe I can get Kala to try them out for me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Archway - Kearney   This is such an impressive structure, especially when seen in the distance as you approach.  The interchange on I-8...