Friday, August 2, 2024

 Holdrege Sculpture Tour - Holdrege 

This is just a preliminary entry because we spent the entire time inside the museum instead of touring the sculptures.  My sister and her friend Sandy visited a few days before us and she told us so much about the museum that we didn't even read what the real Passport stop was about.  

But not to waste the entry, you must go inside this museum if you can make time for it.  It's probably the best tended and displayed early prairie life and times that I've ever found.  It's free to enter and they only ask for a donation if you can.  Anyone who grew up from the 1950's and on can relate to a lot of the items on display.  I'm going to display a few photos of particular interest and a collage of a bunch of others.

This is a Farmall F-20, top road speed was something like 6 miles an hour.  We had one of these on the farm and I did drive it some.  It won't mean much to many of you but the 20 in it's name meant it could pull a 2 bottom plow (slowly!).  It was started with a crank so Dad had to start it for me until I was in high school.


We also had a Farmall H.  This was also a 2 bottom plow tractor but could fly down the road at 16 miles an hour.  Ours had 2 wheels in front like most people are used to seeing.  This one had a 6 volt battery and an electric starter.  The engine horsepower of the H and F-20 were about the same but the H had about 50% more pulling power.


Next up is a dentist's office.  Boy, did I ever HATE to go in there.  It's not quite set up correctly in this picture.  That white bowl should be right next to the chair because you had to rinse your mouth out and spit in that.  No suction like today.  That long arm ran all the tools that were used to grind out your cavity.  It was powered by a long, round, rubber belt.  Our great uncle was our dentist but that didn't make it any better.


And finally, I spent many hours working with this.  Barbed wire.  Until I learned how to handle this, I was guaranteed to have leaked a little blood every time we went out to either build a new fence or take one down.  There were hundreds of different patents for barbed wire but the only one I've ever seen in use is approximately like the second one from the bottom.

The remainder of photos are of places or things I didn't really have much to do with, or maybe none.  I'm guessing my parents did and maybe some of you who look through this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildeflour Baking Co - Lodgepole     We kind of messed up here.  They weren't open when we stopped.  However, when I went to the door,...