Friday, September 13, 2024

Gothenburg Historical Museum - Gothenburg 


We've been by this museum several times over the years.  The historical Pony Express Station is across the street and we sometimes parked in the museum parking lot.  I think we only ever tried to enter once and it was closed.  This year we finally were able to get here during hours of operation.  


Very well done museum.  We've found since participating in the Nebraska Passport and visiting several museums across the state, that most of the museums in small towns are really very well done. 


Often I see things that we either had in our home or someone else had.  Such as the typewriter on the left.  Mom had one very similar.  As a child, I was always amazed how fast she could type and how the letters could fly around but never hit each other.



They typically highlight local history which is quite interesting comparing them to around Schuyler, where I grew up.  


There's always something unique to a town, such as the matchbook collection.  This is the first one I've ever seen in person. 


This museum has something very useful and interesting that I've never seen anywhere else.  Especially if someone knew someone who lived here. Funeral record copies are here.  I don't know how far back they go but Cindy's nephew used to be a school principal here but sadly passed away a few years ago at a very young age.  I looked to see if his obituary was here and it was.  As you can see by the number of 2" binders, there are a LOT of people that can be searched.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powerhouse Social & Suites - Scottsbluff     This has a certain elegance to it.  I think it's the building and how it has been des...